Tips for Living a Good Life for My Nephew on His High School Graduation
As we wrap up what has to have been the craziest school year ever, many of us are honoring our graduates. My youngest nephew, Caiden, is graduating this evening from Lakeside High School in Webster Parish and it got me thinking... What's the best thing I can give you as you embark on a new chapter in your life? The answer? Wisdom!
Trust me, I've stubbed my toe plenty of times over my 46 years of life and if I can save you any time or heartache, I'm here to help! I may not be the richest, the most successful, or even well respected, but I live life on my terms, staying true to myself and my values.
First, please know how truly loved you are, and second, always do your best and never settle! If you take anything away from this, remember these two things. I've listed some more words of wisdom for you below to use as you see fit.
1. God first! When you prioritize your walk with the Lord and live by His word, things just seem to work out. It doesn't mean that your life will be easy, but it does mean you'll have Him on your side.
2. Always take care of your family. No matter how mad they make you at times, honor them with your time and attention.
3. Nurture your relationships with friends and loved ones. Having a strong support system will help you weather any storm.
4. Be a man of your word. No matter how much it hurts or how uncomfortable it gets, be known for speaking the truth and never speaking out of turn.
5. Always pay cash and never let yourself get into a position where you owe someone.
6. Stay humble and always remember where you came from.
7. Save your money! You'll thank me later!
8. Treat everyone with kindness and respect.
9. Never loan money you can't afford to lose. If you're close enough to 'loan' someone money, consider it a gift. If they pay you back, it's a bonus.
10. You may not always be the smartest, most talented, or most capable in the room. But, you can always be the hardest worker.
11. Exercise. You'll understand later in your 40s.
12. Take care of what you own and you won't have to replace it as often.
13. If you borrow something, return it promptly and in good or even better condition than when you had got it.
14. Don't take tomorrow for granted.
15. Never forget how to play!
Best wishes and much love as you head into the next phase of your life. Remember, Aunt 'Booty' loves you!