Get our free mobile app

With colder temperatures hitting the Ark-La-Tex, you might be tempted to light a fire in your fireplace this weekend. Before you do that, read this.

Sure, lighting a fire is a cozy way to warm your home and no doubt, it's a perfect way to spend time with your sweetie. But, it can be quite dangerous.

I reached out to Kevin Russell, owner of New Buck Chimney Service in Shreveport, LA, and this is what he had to say about lighting your first fire of the year in your fireplace:

According to the Chimney Safety Institute of America, all chimneys and vents should be inspected annually and swept as needed. The general rule is after you burn a cord of wood it should be swept. All firewood should be covered to keep it dry to produce less smoke and less creosote. The creosote can ignite inside the chimney and produce temperatures over 2000°F which can in turn transfer heat to the wood members of the house and catch the house on fire.

Dirty empty fireplace with firewood. Interior decor.

In short, a clean chimney is a safe chimney.

I was shocked to find that there are over 25,000 chimney fires per year in the US that are responsible for over $125 million dollars in property damage. Don't leave your family in the cold this winter. It's a good idea to have your chimney inspected by a professional. And while you're at it, have them check out your dryer vent as well.

Check Out Our Top Events for a Fun Filled Weekend in Shreveport

Make Your Weekend Fire! Stay at the Station 24 Airbnb in New Orleans

Take a Look Inside Shreveport's Historic Downtown Fire Tower Airbnb

Built in 1922 as the Hose Tower for the Downtown Central Fire Station, this gorgeous downtown space has been converted into a 5-story apartment! Have you ever wanted to take a look inside? Here's your chance, and if you like it - you should totally stay here! For around $200 a night you can book it on Airbnb!

More From KISS Country 93.7