Words That Only People From Louisiana Will Understand [LIST]
If you dare to travel outside of the Bayou State and you say something like “Hey! How’s your Mama and dem?” you might get a few strange looks. But why? Isn’t that how everyone else around the country talks?
Let’s face it. We Louisianians have our own language. Southern. And we can’t help it that people who are not from Louisiana don’t understand our dialect. For instance, you might get some eyebrow raises is you say some of the following phrases:
- Pinch the tail and suck the head – I guess I can understand why that phrase might get a strange look…get your head out of the gutter! Plain and simple…it means eating crawfish!
- Langiappe – simply put…French for ‘a little something extra.’
- Cattywampus – crooked or askew
- Fixin’ to – (I use this often)… About to.
- Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler – Let the Good Times Roll!
- How’s Ya Mama And Dem? – You know…How’s Everyone?
What are some other Louisiana sayings? Did I leave any out? Leave your comments in the section below.