Why May is Mental Health Awareness Month
As someone who struggles with my mental health on a daily basis, spreading awareness for May being Mental Health is crucial.
Huffington Post reported statistics that show just how important it is to spread awareness about mental health.
- 1 out of 5 American Adults will be diagnosed with a mental health disorder every year.
- 300 million people suffer from depression globally.
- 56 percent of people diagnosed with a mental health issue doesn't receive treatment.
- 25 percent of people living with a mental health issue feel shamed or judged because of it.
According to Mental Health America, it is important to educate people who have mental health problems so they may create a safe lifestyle. They also say that when a person has mental health problems they can fall into bad habits like drug use or harmful addictions.
National Alliance on Mental Illness says there are multiple of ways to spread awareness on a daily basis:
- Learn about mental health—educate myself and others
- See the person not the illness
- Spread the word
I deal with anxiety and depression everyday, and I am not ashamed of it. It doesn't make me any less of a person. I hate that there is still a stigma for mental health problems.