Seen a Black Ladybug With Red Spots in Shreveport? Don’t Touch It
Spring is finally here! Everything is turning green again, pollen is in the air, and the bugs are out in force. This past weekend, I had the pleasure of hanging out at the Little League Ballfields in Vivian, Louisiana for the first of the "Sunday in the Country," concert series. I just happened to see this cute little emo Ladybug on the truck window, but after doing a little research I found out that this insect is not one you want to mess around with.
According to the report from Healthline, Ladybirds (sometimes called "Ladybugs") advertise their toxicity through their colors. Brown, or "Lurch" Ladybirds are the least toxic as they rely on their natural camouflage to protect them from predators. Next on the list are the ones we see most: Red. Red Ladybirds are the second least toxic as their color is a natural warning to insect-loving birds (much like the color of poisonous berries).
The black-with-red-spots Lady bird follows on the toxicity scale. The "Pine" Ladybird (pictured at the top of this article) is reported to be "one of the more toxic ladybug species and can therefore cause allergic reactions." There is only one Ladybug that is more toxic: Those that have an orange tint (sometimes called "Asian Lady Beetles") pose the greatest treat of an adverse allergic reaction to humans.
Although Ladybirds do bite, they don't inject venom. The issue comes from the fluid that these insects produce in order to escape a predator. When they perceive a threat, these little bugs actually spray some of their own blood onto their attacker. That blood contains compounds that have been known to cause a pretty intense allergic reaction that could include skin irritations, breathing problems, a runny nose, and sneezing.