Important Things to Know Before Kids Deer Hunt This Weekend
If you're into bow hunting for whitetail deer, you certainly don't need me to tell you that archery season just began last Saturday, October 1, but for the kids and veterans of Area 2 here in Northwest Louisiana, the big day is this Saturday, October 8, when it's GAME ON for them too!
According to the Louisiana 2022-23 Hunting and WMA Regulations, Youth/Veterans Deer Season will run for a full week again this year, beginning this Saturday, October 8 and continuing through October 14, and will allow honorably discharged veterans and qualified youth hunters additional days to harvest a deer.
And with lots of kids out of school for Fall Break next week, it's likely that the woods will be full of young, hopeful hunters.
The Rules Have Changed This Year
New this year is the requirement for all youth 17 and under to have a Youth Hunting License and Deer tags which is $5.00. Until this year, this was free to youth, so make sure to note this important change.
- For all those persons 18 and older, to legally hunt Louisiana deer, they must possess a Basic Hunting License, Deer License (or equivalent combination license) and Deer Tags.
- A resident who reaches age 60 between June 1, 2000 and May 31, 2022, may obtain an annual Senior Hunting and Fishing License for the cost of $5.00
- Youths must possess a hunter safety certification or proof of successful completion of a hunter safety course. Youths must be accompanied by one adult 18 years of age or older. If the accompanying adult is in possession of hunter safety certification, a valid hunting license or proof of successful completion of a hunter safety course, this requirement is waived for youths younger than 16 years of age. Youths must possess a Youth License. Adults may not possess a firearm. Youths may possess only one legal firearm while hunting. The supervising adult shall maintain visual and voice contact with the youth at all times, EXCEPT properly licensed youths 16-17 years old and youths 12 years old or older who have successfully completed a hunter safety course may hunt without a supervising adult
Important Dates To Remember
Along with this special Youth/Veterans week, youths 17 or younger, can use any legal weapon to harvest a deer during the "Primitive Weapons Season" which for Area 2 will run October 22 through October 28.
Of course, gun season here in Area 2 begins October 29, so by then, the woods will be teeming with hunters and dreams of old Bullwinkle showing up.
See the full schedule below:
Deer Hunting - Area 2 - 2022-23 Schedule
- Either-Sex Archery Oct. 1 - Jan. 31
- Primitive Firearms Oct. 22-28 and Jan. 16-22
- Firearms (Still-Hunt Only) Oct. 29 - Dec. 7
- Firearms (With or Without Dogs) Dec. 8 - Jan. 15
- Youth and Honorably Discharged Veterans Oct. 8-14
- ALL OF THE FOLLOWING PARISHES ARE OPEN Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Claiborne, DeSoto, Jackson, Lincoln, Natchitoches, Red River, Sabine, Union, Webster and Winn EXCEPT Kisatchie National Forest which has special regulations; consult the U.S. Forest Service for regulations. Caney, Corney, and Middlefork tracts of Kisatchie have the same regulations as Area 2, EXCEPT still hunting only for deer