Where Has Our Religion Gone?
I'm not sure what to think about this new study that reveals 1 in 5 Americans is religiously unaffiliated. Why? What happened along the way in our busy lives that religion just started fading away? Read the story, look at the statistics -- then tell me what you think. . .
One in five Americans and one in three of adults under 30 is religiously unaffiliated, the highest percentage ever, according to a new Pew study:
- Over the past five years, the number of adults not linked to any religion has jumped from slightly over 15 percent to just under 20 percent, a figure that includes more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics, as well as almost 33 million adults who do not identify themselves with a particular religion.
- People asked to choose from a list that included more than a dozen possible affiliations, including “Catholic,” “Protestant,” "Orthodox," “don't know” and “nothing in particular”
- Out of the 46 million people with no affiliation:
- 68% believe in God
- 58% feel a connection with nature and the Earth
- 37% think of themselves as "spiritual" but not "religious"
- 21% pray daily