Sony Pictures Cancels Theatrical Release of “The Interview” After Terrorist Threats
Sony Pictures announced Wednesday afternoon that they have decided "not to move forward" with the planned December 25th theatrical release of "The Interview" amid terror threats.
Sony said, “In light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the film The Interview, we have decided not to move forward with the planned December 25 theatrical release. We respect and understand our partners’ decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers.”
The announcement comes after a terrorism threat was made by a group of hackers who recently pulled off a huge cyber attack against Sony.
The nation's top five theater chains announced earlier this week that they would not show the controversial film after they were threatened with terrorism should they show the film.
“Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business,” Sony said in their Wednesday afternoon statement. “Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale – all apparently to thwart the release of a movie they did not like.”
“We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public,” it added. “We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome.”
Watch the trailer for yourself.